Image description

The Parish of


St James, Clacton,


with St Christopher, Jaywick

St James : Tower Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO151LE

 

St Christopher : Meadow Way, Jaywick, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO15 2HR

 

About Us

 

PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Come back soon to read about our Church, it's history, and about the Parish Of St James the Great

 


 



The parish of St James was created in 1907 as the new town of Clacton-On-Sea grew and developed. The present building was consecrated in 1913. We celebrated each of its 100th anniversaries with exhibitions, lectures, concerts, celebratory dinners and two grand flower festivals.

Image description



Image description



The Ecclesiastical Commissioners decreed that a second parish be formed in Clacton providing that this new church would have the more elaborate services associated with the Catholic Movement, whereas St Paul’s would continue to be a Protestant, prayer book church.


The church was originally planned to be nearly twice a large, complete with a bell tower, but the building was never completed to its designs. As it stands today the church can seat approximately 400 people, and whilst the outside seems rather austere, the interior is very beautiful.


Image description
Image description


In addition to the spectacular high altar there are two side chapels, both of which have stained glass windows, an altar, and ample seating for our smaller services and prayer groups. Below the high alter are two vestries: one for the vicar and one multipurpose vestry used by the servers, as a meeting room, and as the parish office.


Image description
Image description



Image description

 


Our baptismal font was repositioned in 2001 to take pride of place at the front of the congregation. It is a more welcoming place to hold Christenings and to display the wonderful masonry work. The original location is now used as an area for quiet prayer and reading.

Image description
Image description

 

At St James we have a strong musical tradition. We have an excellent organist and choir master and a loyal and enthusiastic choir. We use both the New English Hymnal and Celebration Hymns. For more information about the wonderful church Organ – one of the best in this part of the country – or to find out about joining our choir please visit our Music page (COMING SOON!).

 


Image description
Image description
Image description

 

The interior of St James, Clacton, is complemented by some equally beautiful stained glass windows. On the north side we have the St James window and on the south, a window depicting the resurrection which is quite breath-taking when the sun is shining through it.

 

Image description
Image description
Image description


Beautiful stained glass on display at St James, Clacton. The centre image represents the resurrection and above is a memorial to Charles Stanley Nicholson, a soldier who fell in battle, 1916.



The church prides itself on an enthusiastic and welcoming congregation, who are friendly and supportive of anyone thinking of visiting our church. We offer refreshments of tea and coffee after our Sunday service as a chance to meet, talk, and reflect on the week. Coffee morning is also held on a Tuesday at 10am.


Image description

 

The churchyard has a grassed area adjoining the road which was planted with 1000 daffodil bulbs many years ago. These still bloom each year at Easter time providing a fine show, attracting many passers-by with camera in hand.

Image description
Image description

 

St Christopher’s

 

St Christopher’s stands in a small garden in the heart of Jaywick and was designed as a dual purpose building, the area containing the altar being provided with doors which can be closed when necessary. It was intended as a place of worship for holidaying chalet owners.


Image description

 

Land had been purchased in 1928 by Frank Christopher Stedman for a mixed beach and chalet development. On 15th December 1933 St Christopher’s was dedicated by the Bishop of Chelmsford, the name being a tribute to Mr Stedman who donated the land for the church. There is seating in the hall for approximately 80 people, a small kitchen to one side of the altar and a vestry on the other.

Within the church there is a memorial to commemorate the floods of 1953 and those who lost their lives on that night. There are always fresh flowers under the memorial plaque.

 

Image description
Image description